Friday, July 16, 2010

Deep Station


We are currently sitting about 2 miles above the ocean floor at our deepest station (the first blog post is a cruise path, we are at station 12). Deep stations are challenging with changing winds and currents and certainly more time consuming! Right now we are deploying a rosette for water samples; the whole process will take approximately 4 hours. Melissa and Avani are taking turns operating the wench that lets out the line. Once the rosette is at the bottom they will have to stop at intervals (the wench has a wire read-out so they know how deep the rosette is) to allow time for the bottles to trip.


1 comment:

  1. Greetings, Mercury Team!

    How exciting to join you on the Atlantic once again! This trip looks like a very productive one as I can see you are hard at work carefully collecting your samples. It's hard for me to identify a favorite photo as there are so many fabulous shots of team members in action, as well as of the breathtaking scenery that surrounds you. I must admit, however, that I laughed at the one of Deepthi all swallowed up in orange until I read the caption. (Sorry, Deepthi... I definitely want you to be safe, but the suit looks so huge on you!!!). I'll continue to follow your blog and look forward to the next post. Have a wonderful weekend and take care, all!

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete